Chapter 114 - Thief of Hearts


Jon followed Cate into the bedroom, pulling the bandana off his head as he went. With Cate’s giggling assistance he managed to peel off the leather pants, then strip off the tight black tank. Once he was disrobed, Cate couldn’t resist slithering up against Jon and nipping lightly at his neck before taking his hand and leading him into the bathroom.

They shared a playful shower, taking turns washing each other and sharing long kisses and embraces. Noticing the beginning of Jon’s new arousal, Cate teasingly chastised his “one-track mind” and demanded they get out of the shower before neither of them had the will to leave the villa in search of food.

After they toweled each other off Cate followed Jon into the bedroom and watched as he dressed quickly in grey cargo shorts and a navy tee. He gave her another sweet kiss followed by a light smack on the ass, then left the room to retrieve Cate’s duffel bag from her car.

Once he returned, it was Jon's turn to watch Cate as she dressed in matching red panties and bra, denim shorts, and an olive green baby-doll t-shirt. When she took her toiletry kit from her bag and went into the bathroom Jon followed her and stood in the doorway, a gentle smile on his lips as he watched her comb out her damp hair.

Once she was ready, Jon and Cate headed out the door. They wandered hand-in-hand down a semi-private path from the King and Prince toward the village, chatting comfortably and enjoying the golden twilight as the sun sank low on the horizon. When they reached the edge of the village Jon reluctantly released Cate’s hand, respecting her need for discretion in their public behavior.

Cate led Jon several blocks up Mallory Street to a rustic-looking building with a broad porch dotted with brightly-colored tables and chairs. Festive paper lanterns hung from the ceiling and colorful luminaria dotted the walk leading to the restaurant’s entrance. Jon grinned broadly at the sound of mariachi music wafting from the speakers.

“Welcome to Pablo’s,” Cate smiled. “I thought you might like a good margarita.”

“Great!” Jon nodded enthusiastically. “I love Mexican food.”

“I know,” Cate chuckled, her eyes twinkling. Jon laughed with her as he recognized a hint of The Fan in her answer. But now he didn’t think of her as a Fan at all. Now she was so much more.

“Can we get a private table?” Jon asked, his voice softening a bit as he reached out to brush his hand over hers.

“Well, I don’t think they have private tables,” Cate answered doubtfully. “But they do have some dark corners.” She gave Jon a playful smirk.

“That will work just fine,” Jon answered with a little growl, leaning in toward Cate and giving her a wink in response. He pulled open the door and held it for Cate, then followed her inside.

The slightly awestruck hostess showed them to a small booth at the back of the restaurant, then giggled happily and flitted away after Jon gave her a big smile and a “Thanks, Doll.” Cate slid into the booth first, scooting along the half-circle bench to make room for Jon to sit beside her. He settled in next to her with a contented sigh then slipped his hand onto her knee under the table.

“Perfect,” he purred, leaning over to nuzzle at Cate’s ear through the still-damp tendrils of her silky mahogany hair.

“Jon,” Cate warned, though she couldn’t stop her happy smile. “Somebody might see us.”

“I know,” he answered sexily. “That’s what makes it exciting.”

Cate chuckled. “You’re too much,” she sighed.

“Well, THANK you!” Jon responded proudly, puffing out his chest and giving Cate a mischievous wink. “I didn’t think you had any complaints.”

Cate rolled her eyes and picked up her menu, pretending to read even though she wasn’t seeing the print before her. She smirked again as her mind went back to how Jon had looked earlier, decked out in his eighties best, just for her. Just as Jon opened his mouth to tease her more, the waiter appeared to take their drink order.

Five minutes later an icy pitcher of margaritas and a huge bowl of chips were on the table and waiter had been dispatched with their meal order. Jon again gave Cate a gentle smile as he rested his hand on her leg. “So…” he began, tracing a little circle on her thigh with his fingertip. “I got some good news today.”

“Oh?” Cate asked before she sipped from her margarita glass. She swallowed the tart, salty beverage then realized Jon was watching her, waiting for further response. “What was that?” she continued.

“All the details were finalized for that project of mine. The campaign I’m going to do for the Center.” He paused and took a sip of his drink, watching Cate’s response. He saw her brow furrow slightly as she considered his words. Jon could tell she was curious and wanted to ask him for details, but she knew that would mean talking about the future. He watched as Cate struggled with the choice of continuing the conversation or shutting it down in accordance with her self-imposed prohibition on discussion of life beyond Friday.

When Cate didn’t answer after a minute Jon continued, his voice soft and even. “I’ll be coming back here in a couple months to film some recruiting videos. I’m also gonna do a private show for the staff and students.” He smiled as he saw her eyes widen at his announcement.

“Umm…. Jon, that’s great.” Cate replied quietly.

“Well, that’s hardly the enthusiastic response I was hoping for,” he teased lightly as he rubbed his hand gently over her thigh. “Gee Jon! That’s FANTASTIC!” he said playfully, his voice rising an octave with mock excitement as he raised his eyebrows and grinned.

Cate frowned. “Sorry, I… uh…”

Jon immediately felt bad about his tease. “I’m kidding, Baby,” he said gently. “But… being serious for a moment, how do you feel about that? About me coming back here in a few months?”

“Jon…” Cate hesitated. She knew exactly how she felt: elated, excited, overjoyed. Her heart had damned near jumped up into her throat when she heard the words. But hanging over her elation was a dark cloud of dread, of realization that Jon’s return may not be a good thing for her. It certainly wouldn’t make it any easier for her to let him go.

“I… I think it’s a great thing. What you’re doing for the Center, I mean. You certainly have no obligation to do anything.” Cate replied carefully, avoiding what she knew was Jon’s true question.

Jon tipped his head slightly at her response. “I know. I want to do this.” His eyes met hers. “But you know what I mean. How do you feel about me coming back here? Will you see me, when I do?”

Cate felt a flutter in her stomach. God, I want to… “I suppose the Director will want me to be your host again,” she answered quietly, struggling to keep emotion out of her voice. “Since I was your training officer.”

“Cate,” Jon’s voice was soft and full of emotion. “You know what I’m asking. Will you see me, when I come back? Can we spend time together?”

Cate blinked at Jon, wishing he couldn’t read her response but knowing he could see the hope in her eyes. “I can’t think about that right now, Jon,” she replied, her voice softening to match his. “I just can’t. You know…”

“I know,” Jon interrupted. “Time ends on Friday. We walk away with no regrets.” His hand left her thigh and found hers, his fingers curling over hers and squeezing gently. “But Cate, the thing is, time doesn’t end on Friday. Life will go on.”

He saw her lips part to protest and he cut her off. “I know, I know… not ‘us,' but life. And I really don’t think you expect to just erase me from your life, do you?” He gave her a gentle smile. “I mean, you’re not gonna stop listening to my music, are you? You won’t get rid of all the photos, not watch my movies, throw out all your Soul stuff, pretend I don’t exist?” He lightened his tone with a teasing note, though he was serious.

Cate couldn’t stop a small sheepish smile at his words. She looked down at the table, away from his beautiful eyes. “Of course not. I couldn’t do that.” she answered softly.

“Well, Thank God!” Jon chuckled. “I’d hate to think the band lost a fan because of my acting career,” he teased. Cate chuckled softly in response, but didn’t say anything.

“Cate, you know I’m not going to be able to just forget about you, either,” Jon continued quietly. He held his breath as she turned her head to look at him, expecting her to shut him down, to tell him to stop talking about the future.

When Cate just looked at him, Jon continued, not wanting to lose his chance. “I can’t just pretend these two weeks didn’t happen. You’re an amazing woman, and I want to keep you in my life. Even if only as a friend, if that’s what you want.” Again he looked deep into her eyes, searching for the truth of what she was feeling.

“Jon… I don’t know…” Cate answered hesitantly. He saw her tense and felt her hand clench under his as her eyes swirled four shades of blue. Yes, you do, Jon thought. You know what you want. You’re just afraid. But you don’t have to be…

Jon couldn’t stop now, he had to press his luck. Cate was listening to him, not refusing to consider what might or could happen. She had opened the door to her heart a crack, and he had to slip inside. Like a thief, he couldn’t pass up the opportunity to steal what he really wanted, to capture her heart and take it with him. He didn’t know how much longer that door would be open.

“C’mon, Cate,” he said with a gentle smile. “I can’t give you a call every now and then, just to say hello? Drop you an e-mail or a text?” He tried to sound casual as his heart pounded in his chest. Jon gave Cate his best heart-stopping smile. “Send you postcards from the road?”

Cate’s head was spinning as she listened to Jon’s words. Of course he was right, he wouldn’t be able to just pretend they had never met, any more than she could. And what harm could it do, to maintain occasional friendly contact with him? She felt a little stab of pain in her heart. You know what harm it will do… it will make you want him more, and then you’ll be devastated when he eventually drifts away.

“Jon, I don’t think that’s a good idea,” she answered quietly. “I don’t know if I can just be your friend. I… it would be too hard.”

Jon’s heart clenched, but he kept going. He had to keep trying. “No it wouldn’t, Baby,” he argued gently. “We’ll talk. Share what’s going on with our lives. I’ll still care about you, your friends, what you’re doing, your career.”

He gave her another sweet smile. “And you know, we’ll still have the chance to see each other every now and then. Not just when I come back for the media stuff, either. You have to come to the premiere, you know. You’re as much a part of this crew as anybody working for the production company. You’re the one who’s turning me into a fake cop.” Jon continued his gentle tease, trying to mask how desperately he wanted to beg her to come with him.

Cate gave him a surprised look. She hadn’t even considered the possibility of attending the premiere of Jon’s movie. She had absolutely nothing to do with that endeavor, as far as she was concerned. She shook her head. “Jon, that’s a nice thought, but no. I wouldn’t feel right doing that. That’s for celebrities and movie industry people.”

Damnit. Jon wasn’t about to give up, despite Cate’s rebuttal. “Well then, I know you’re gonna come see us on the tour.” He gave her a grin and a wink. “I know a guy who could hook you up with great seats, maybe even backstage passes for you and your friends…”

Cate chortled at that. “Oh you know a guy, do you?” she replied, then smiled gently. “Thanks, but… I don’t know, Jon. I don’t want to take advantage.” She took a deep breath. “I’ll have to think about that.”

“You won’t come see us in concert?” Jon asked, feigning hurt.

“No! No, I don’t mean that…” Cate answered quickly. She saw his little grin and realized he was teasing. “Of course, I’m gonna come to a show or two. I just mean that I don’t know about seeing you, personally, on the road. I…” She stopped and swallowed hard at the thought of being with Jon in his world instead of in hers. “That would be amazing, but I don’t think I could handle that, Jon.”

“Why?” he pressed, his voice now a husky whisper. “Why couldn’t you come see me on the road? You could take some time off, come along for a couple shows, stay with me for a week or two…” Or forever....

Jon saw the moment it happened. Cate drew in a sharp breath and her pupils dilated as she blinked at him. Shit, he swore silently. He had pushed too hard. She was shutting him down.

“Jon.” Cate’s voice was gentle and bittersweet. “Let’s not ruin tonight by talking about tomorrow, okay?” She swallowed hard and looked at him with shining sapphire eyes. “You know the ground rules. Time ends on Friday.” She turned her hand under his until they were palm to palm, then entwined her fingers with his.

Jon sighed and nodded. He squeezed her hand and leaned forward to touch his forehead to hers. “I know, Baby. But the thing is... when time begins again on Saturday, you’re still going to be in my heart. And I know I’ll still be in yours.” He closed his eyes, then brushed his lips against her cheek.

He smiled to himself as Cate nodded ever so slightly, the tiny movement betraying her thoughts.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I love it. Please, let me have another chapter very, very soon..please.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh she is so tempted..it's right there. Go for it girl..throw caution to the wind. She's cracking. Keep at it Jon, just don't push too hard. I'm betting that once you're gone on tour and she goes and sees you, she want to leave you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this chapter!!! Very suddle constuctive conversation. Jon did well just easying his way thru the conversation but backing up slightly when her flet her retreating. There is not much time left, so I am sure the "baby steps" are driving him nuts!!! Can't wait to see what happens on Friday????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this chapter!!!! Great conversation and went smoothly. Jon was patient! Can't wait to see what ultimately happens on "Friday"!


    More, more, more....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok Jon, I suggest you back off a bit now and let her think about it before you push again. She's wavering, but if you push too hard too soon she'll run.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whats are those old saying...you got to grab all the gusto you can get...take a leap of faith...be all you can be...see threw in that military one just for you!

    I think she either has to take that step out of her security plane and pray the shute opens or she'll be the one frozen in the hanger doorway too scared to jump. See that's where the leap of faith comes in.

    Grab all the gusto...don't think about tomorrow...what if it never comes? Maybe this time she'll be lucky, Don't look back...eyes to the front and look for the rainbow.

    Dang i am full of songs this morning. Got to quit watching tuner movie classics.

    Great chapter and opens the door for more to come.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!