Chapter 138 - Maybe Someday



When the mournful opening notes of the next song sounded, Jon felt his heart swell with emotion. He broke the spell of their gaze and moved closer to Cate, brushing his cheek against hers. His hand slid from Cate’s waist to her back as he pulled her close against him.

Fate or Karma or Angels had chosen this moment for this music, the words he had penned so many years ago so perfect for this night, in this place, with this woman. It expressed far better than he could with mere words everything he was feeling tonight, all the hope he was holding on to as his time here with Cate ticked away.

He inhaled deeply the perfume of her hair and began to sing softly, his lips at her ear.

And I would give up tomorrow
And die for one yesterday
I'd lie, I’d beg, steal and borrow
To hear you whisper my name
Tonight there ain't no miracles
Washing up on this beach
The angels left here long ago
But I still believe


Jon pulled their clasped hands against his chest, resting them between their hearts, beating together in time.

That maybe someday
I will hold your hand
And maybe some way
We'll trace our footsteps in the sand
And just walk away… baby someday


Cate felt like her heart would burst; it was sweet agony to hear his voice in her ear, the words so painfully expressive of what she was feeling on this last night they would share. She closed her eyes and started to sing soft harmony as Jon continued on.

Now I don't know how a heart beats
But I sure know how one breaks
Remember how I used to hold you
To share every breath that you take
How can I forget
You’re every tear that I cry
I know you're coming back,
You never kissed me goodbye


Cate pulled her hand away from Jon’s against his chest and slid both her arms around his waist, embracing him as they danced. Jon slipped his other arm to encircle Cate’s waist, pulling her body tighter against his. He tilted his head slightly, rubbing his cheek gently against hers as they sang together.

Maybe someday
I will hold your hand
And maybe some way
We'll trace our footsteps in the sand
And just walk away…


Though still soft in Cate’s ear, Jon’s voice betrayed the depth of his emotion. He meant every word of the vow he had written so many years before, that seemed meant just for this moment…

They say that nothing lasts forever
But we know our two hearts beat together
And when I’m far away
Every night I’ll pray


Cate’s voice cracked as she noticed Jon’s change of the lyric to a personal promise. She couldn’t hold it in anymore. Unable to continue her harmony as a lump rose in her throat, she turned her cheek to Jon’s shoulder and hugged him tight as her tears came.

Maybe someday… someday…

As Richie’s pining guitar solo sang into the night, Cate let go. She sobbed against Jon’s shoulder, dampening his shirt with her tears. He held her tight as they continued to dance, pressing kisses into her hair, trying to hold his own tears in check as he felt her shudder in his arms. His soul ached for her anguish, but he knew she had finally broken down the last wall and admitted to herself that she loved him.

And for that his heart soared.

Jon felt Cate take two deep breaths, then her trembling subsided. She still clung to him and pressed her cheek to his shoulder, her body swaying with his. Jon sang from his soul, on his lips a promise of hope.

Maybe someday
I will understand
Baby some way
We'll trace these footsteps in the sand
Just walk away… maybe someday
Maybe someday


Jon felt Cate shift in his arms. She raised her face to his, tears streaking her cheeks and sparkling in her eyes, her hair glowing like embers in the moonlight. “Don’t go….” she whispered. Jon gazed into the sapphire pools and melted.

Maybe someday…
Maybe some way…


The last notes of the song died away, then there was only the sound of the ocean. Jon reached one hand up to Cate’s cheek and tenderly wiped away her tears. Cate turned her face to kiss his palm, moisture glittering on her long lashes.

Jon stepped back, gently disengaging from her embrace and capturing her hand with his. He silently led her through the French doors and to the bedroom.

Without saying a word they slowly undressed each other, then melted into each others’ arms.

Their lovemaking was slow, gentle, bittersweet. They savored every second of their union then lay wrapped around each other, listening to the sounds of their heartbeats over the gentle rush of the ocean against the shore.

Jon’s last thought before he drifted off with Cate in his arms was a prayer that morning would never come.

9 comments:

  1. oh my god, cate... i'm sobbing here...damn this is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in complete tears here. What an emotional, loving chapter. What a beautiful way to say goodbye to one another without saying the words. Still hoping/praying they really don't say goodby for real. Someone pass the tissue please.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. The boxset came out a few days before a friend I'd known since kindergarten died of cancer, leaving behind a husband and three young children. The day after the funeral I sat and listened to it and that song had me sobbing. I still have a hard time listening to it even though I love it.


    Looks like Cate has finally let down the barriers...now I just hope whatever Jon has planned doesn't blow up in his face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this chapter! Very emotional...and I am hoping that maybe someday for them! I second the passing the tissues comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I'm not the only one sobbing!!! Although all this night with them has been wonderful, I'm dying to know what his plan is!!! Please don't make us wait for days!!

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really loving this story. I hope it will have a happy ending. It did choke me up reading this last chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You couldn't have picked a better song, a better scenario. This was just perfect! Full of love, desire, happiness and heartache. Dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy! I'm crying so much that my husband thought that something horrible happened to a family member. I guess I will have to buy a truckload of tissues. When it's not for the erotic chapters, it's for chapters like this one that I need some. You are a damn good writer!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!