Chapter 141 - Make a Memory



Jon turned his back to the celebratory scene and stepped over to pick up his guitar. He slung the strap over his shoulders and turned back toward the audience, resting his hands on the instrument as he waited for them to settle back into their seats. Bobby moved a stool and a microphone stand to the center of the stage then stepped back to the podium to introduce Jon.

After the brief introduction, Jon walked over and settled onto the stool, propping his feet on the rungs and shifting the guitar onto his lap. Giving the mic a quick adjustment, he smiled and began to speak.

“First off, I want to congratulate our new Special Agents.” Jon gestured toward the class seated in front of him and clapped again, the audience enthusiastically following his lead. He waited a moment for the applause to die down before he continued, addressing the graduates. “I am being completely honest here, when I say that I am in absolute awe of you.”

He smiled down at the eager faces. “You busted your butts here for ten long weeks to earn those badges. Today you’re gonna leave this place and go out to your new assignments, guns strapped to your hips…” Jon paused and gave a little grin before continuing on, his voice a little softer and more serious.

“And you will carry with you more authority and more responsibility than most people your age can even fathom. You are going out into that big, bad world as our protectors. Some of you are going to bust drug smugglers, some of you are gonna chase terrorists, some of you are gonna keep greedy companies and individuals from stealing the taxpayers’ money, some of you are gonna stand up for victims who have no voice for themselves.”

Jon paused as his expression sobered. “You are going out there to protect and serve the people of these United States of America. You volunteered to put yourself through the hardship of this training – and believe me, I know first-hand, it ain’t easy!” He smirked slightly with his comment before continuing.

“But each of you answered a call to service. You stepped up and said ‘I Will.’ You swore that oath to protect and serve the Constitution of the United States of America, so help you God. You are ready to go out there and lead the way.” Jon swept his gaze across the faces of the new agents, giving them a genuinely grateful smile. “And for that, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

Cate blinked back tears as she listened to Jon’s words. Her heart throbbed at his humility. She knew he was sincere in his admiration; it was one of the things she loved about him. It was one of the things she would always love about him.

Danny noticed Cate’s fluttering lashes from the corner of his eye. Without turning to look at her he slipped his hand over hers on her knee and squeezed gently. Hang on, his gesture silently told her. You’ll be okay.

“So, anyway…” Jon continued, launching into entertainer mode. “I’m honored that you asked me to be part of your very special day here. After I got your invitation I was trying to figure out what I should play for a room full of cops." He grinned. "Of course the first thing that popped into my mind was “Cops… Guns.’ ‘Okay,” I thought. ‘Guns…. I got songs about guns and cowboys... I can do that.’ But then I thought ‘I’m wanted, dead or alive…’ “ Jon paused for dramatic effect after reciting the lyric, pulling a face before shaking his head with a silly little grin. “Maybe not.”

The audience chuckled in agreement before he continued. “Then I thought, ‘Okay, okay… I got more gunslinger songs…. Shot down in a Blaze of Glory…’ ” Again the audience laughed as he paused dramatically then vigorously shook his head. “No. Trust me, I spent the last two weeks hanging out with the firearms instructors….” He shot a grin toward Cate and Danny. “And they would NOT be happy with that imagery.”

Cate couldn’t help but laugh softly at that as the former students tittered in agreement.

“So anyway…” Jon continued. “I thought about it some more and I realized I have the perfect song for this occasion. It’s from our new record…” He smiled at the gasps and murmurs from the audience, letting his gaze wander over the excited faces of the graduates in the first few rows. “In fact, this is the first time this song has ever been performed for an audience, so you are the very first people outside our inner circle to hear it.”

Jon paused as he strummed a couple soft chords on his guitar. “Richie and I wrote this song about people we consider to be everyday heroes. People who stand up for others, who raise their hands and step up and say ‘I Will’ and try to make this crazy world a better place. It’s about people just like you.” Jon again smiled at the graduates. “It’s called We Weren’t Born to Follow.”

Cate’s lips curved into a smile as Jon strummed an opening chord then began to sing.

This one goes out to the man who mines for miracles
This one goes out to the ones in need
This one goes out to the sinner and the cynical
This ain’t about no apology

This road was paved by the hopeless and the hungry
This road was paved by the winds of change
Walking beside the guilty and the innocent
How will you raise a hand when they call your name?

Yeah… yeah… yeah

We weren’t born to follow
Come on and get up off your knees
When life is a bitter pill to swallow
You gotta hold on to what you believe

Believe that the sun will shine tomorrow
And that your saints and sinners bleed

We weren’t born to follow
You gotta stand up for what you believe

Let me hear you say yeah… yeah… yeah… yeah…
Oh yeah…


Cate couldn’t believe what she was hearing: this wonderful song, full of hope and optimism and challenge. As she absorbed the lyrics she had to agree with Jon. This was the perfect song for the occasion. Judging from the reaction of the students in front of her, they agreed. By the time Jon hit the second chorus they were all chiming in on the “yeah yeah yeahs” at his musical direction.

This one’s about anyone who does it differently
This one’s about the one who curses and spits
This ain’t about our living in a fantasy
This aint about giving up or giving in

Yeah… yeah… yeah…

We weren’t born to follow
Come on and get up off your knees
When life is a bitter pill to swallow
You gotta hold on to what you believe

Believe that the sun will shine tomorrow
And that your saints and sinners bleed

We weren’t born to follow
You gotta stand up for what you believe

Let me hear you say yeah… yeah… yeah… yeah…
Oh yeah…
Let me hear you say yeah… yeah… yeah… yeah…
Oh yeah…
We weren’t born to follow, oh yeah….
We weren’t born to follow, oh yeah…


God, what a wonderful gift he gave them, Cate thought. Though the new agents may not realize it at the moment, this song was going to become part of the soundtrack of their lives. She doubted any one of them would be able to keep from flashing back to this moment, this day, when they heard this song on the radio in years to come.

Cate again felt her eyes moisten as she realized she would have her own memory linked forever with this music. It would always be a reminder of her last day with Jon. The day they said goodbye.

Cate watched as Jon finished the song with a flourish, breaking into a grin as the audience cheered enthusiastically. After nodding a couple modest “thank yous” he rose from the stool and replaced his guitar on its stand, then took his seat.

Jon looked out into the audience, his gaze immediately finding Cate. Her blue eyes glistened with moisture, an admiring smile gracing her soft lips. His heart clenched as he could see she was barely holding it together.

Jon watched as Cate looked down at her lap, blinking rapidly, then took a deep breath. He wondered what she was thinking. Whatever it was, he knew it was about him. Jon looked away, not able to watch her struggle. He wouldn’t be able to keep it together himself, and he was onstage.

The ceremony continued with the presentation of awards and remarks by the class leader, then finally came to a close. Immediately following dismissal the new agents rushed to their friends and families while staff and instructors mingled, shaking hands and making congratulations.

Cate stood quietly off to the side of the auditorium, watching Danny and her other colleagues chat with their former students. She would offer her congratulations later, at the graduation luncheon. Right now she just didn’t feel like mingling.

“Hey,” she heard his voice close to her ear and her heart jumped. She hadn’t seen or heard Jon’s approach as she watched the crowd. “How’d I do?”

“Good,” Cate answered, turning to face him. “Great, actually.” She gave Jon a little smile. “The song was fantastic. I know it will be a huge hit.”

Jon chuckled. “Well thank God my biggest fan didn’t hate it,” he teased gently. “I would’ve had to pull the whole record.” He pushed his hands into his jeans pockets to keep himself from reaching out to touch her. “Thanks,” he said, rocking slightly on the balls of his feet. “So… now what?”

“Lunch,” Cate answered, glancing at her watch. Her heart sank when she saw it was nearly noon. The day was half-gone, and soon Jon would be gone too.

“The graduation luncheon at the Dining Hall,” she clarified, clearing her throat. “It’s for grads, invited guests, and instructors. It’s the informal celebration, where the students get to hand out their own awards, roast their instructors, and present their class legacy. It’s fun.”

“And I’m invited?” Jon asked, just a little surprised. After all, he wasn’t part of the staff or the graduating class.

“Of course,” Cate answered. “You really think this bunch is going to turn down the chance to brag about having a Rock God at their party?” She chuckled at the thought.

Jon gave a little eye-roll at that but his smile remained. “Well, guess I’ll go pack up my guitar then,” he said. "I'll just dump it in my rental."

“Bring it along,” Cate suggested. “Maybe you could play something at the luncheon. There’s not really a set program, it’s just kinda free-form.” She had no idea why that thought had occurred to her, but she certainly didn’t hate the idea of hearing Jon sing one more time before he left.

Jon gave Cate a surprised look, then his lips curved into a smirk. “Yeah…” he answered thoughtfully. “Yeah, I guess I could.”

“You don’t have to,” Cate responded quickly. “It’s just… well, I thought it might be fun for the graduates. You know, to have you play a little mini-show, just for them.” She dropped her eyes to the floor as her cheeks colored slightly. “It was wonderful when you did it for me,” she added, her voice barely above a whisper.

Jon’s heart jumped at her unexpected comment. She may have told him goodbye just hours ago, but obviously her memories of their private moments together were still very much in her consciousness. His mind flashed back to last Saturday night, to her awe-filled, enraptured expression as he played and sang for her.

An idea crept into Jon’s mind. Maybe he could make her suggestion work to his advantage. Just maybe….

“I think it’s a great idea,” Jon replied sincerely. “I’d like very much to play some more for these guys and gals.” He gave Cate a little grin. “You’ve convinced me. Be right back.” With a wink Jon turned and headed for the stage and his guitar.

As Cate stood waiting for Jon to pack his guitar into its case she was approached by two of the female graduates. She congratulated them and chatted for a moment, then posed for a couple photos with the young women. As the new agents moved away with their families Cate saw a familiar form approaching.

“Another class over and done,” Floyd commented in his warm, rumbly drawl as he wandered over to stand beside Cate. He gave her a kind smile. “More kids, off into the world.”

Cate nodded. “Yeah Boss. This was a good bunch. Bobby got lucky.”

Floyd chortled. “Yeah, this group made it easy on him. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.”

"Yes, Sir," Cate chuckled. "I hope I get as lucky with my new class Monday.”

“We’ll see,” Floyd replied. He gave Cate a fatherly smile. “Listen Catie, when you get back to the branch after lunch I need you to stop by my office. There’s something I need to talk to you about.”

Cate’s eyes widened slightly in surprise. “Sure, Floyd.” She paused for a second. “Umm… Is there something I should know? Or be worried about?” Nothing in Floyd’s words or tone indicated a problem, but for some reason Cate’s spidey-senses were roused by his unexpected directive.

“Naw, naw…” Floyd shook his head. “Just some future planning stuff.” He waved a hand as he spoke, dismissing her concern. “But it is kinda urgent. I need to get your answers on a couple things before the end of the day.” He gave her another warm smile. “It’s all good, Catie. All good.”

“Okay,” Cate breathed, still wondering exactly what it was her boss wanted to discuss.

“Hey Jon…” Floyd’s voice cut into Cate’s musings as Jon approached them, carrying his guitar case. “Nice job.” Floyd complimented him. “Damned fine song.”

“Thanks,” Jon grinned, accepting Floyd’s handshake. “I’m pretty proud of it.”

“You should be,” Floyd remarked. “So, Catie’s taking you to the luncheon, right?”

Jon nodded with a little glance in her direction. “Yeah. After all she’s put me through in this training it’s about time she bought me lunch, don’t you think?” he teased. He shot another playful grin at Cate.

“I think you’re right,” Floyd agreed with a laugh. “Even if it is free.” He gave Cate one last fatherly smile before turning toward the door. “See you two there.”

“Sure, Boss,” Cate agreed. She watched Floyd wander away, over to where Troy, George, and Danny were talking with several new agents and their families. She drew in a breath, then turned to Jon. “Shall we?” she asked, her voice soft with just a hint of melancholy.

Jon gave her a tender smile. “Lead the way,” he replied.

7 comments:

  1. Perfect song. Great chapter and even I got misty eyed. can we have more please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great chapter! I guess I'm still gonna have to wait & see if my suspicions on what he has planned is right. I've had this idea of what it "could" be since he had that dinner. I follow you on twitter & I tried to tweet or DM you to see if I was right, I didn't want to ruin it for anybody if I was. But, I don't think I'm part of the "elite" crowd on there. So waiting for that tell all chapter! Again this was another great chapter, you've had me so hooked from the beginning!
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez Catte...how many chapters are you going to drag this out for???

    Perfect song for the occassion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to hear what Floyd has to present to Cate. She's goota say YES if it means she gets to be with Jon. I hope she can move forward and take advantage of this opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. grrrrrrr Catte, you're killing me. I think Hath has been teaching you well on the art of torturing your readers! Come back and let us in on the plan.

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a great chapter! Sad it seems to be drawing to a close.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Come on Cate, tell us what the plan is. The wait is killing me. I'm really hoping they are together, but something telling me that they might be together but in a long distance relationship.

    I just love this story!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!