Chapter 46 - Good Morning


SATURDAY

“Mmmmm…” Cate purred as her eyes roved hungrily over his body.

Jon smiled seductively and took a step toward her, dropping his shirt behind him on the floor. His hands went to his waist and he undid the button of his jeans. He took another step forward, slowly drawing down the zipper. He licked his lips and gave her a smoldering gaze.

“Tell me you want me,” he murmured huskily.

“I… want…. you….” Cate breathed.

Jon’s smile turned naughty as he slid his thumbs under the waistband at his hips and started to push downward….

‘Cause you were born to be my baby, Baby I was maaaaade to be your Man…. Na na na Na na na Na na na Na Na!

What the FUCK? Cate couldn’t figure out where the music was coming from. Jon wasn’t singing, he was stripping. Wait…where did Jon go?

‘Cause you were born to be my baby, Baby I was maaaaade to be your Man…. Na na na Na na na Na na na Na Na!

“Fuuuuuuck!” Cate groaned, reaching blindly for the Blackberry on her nightstand.

Her fingers scrabbled over the table until she felt the annoying little piece of technology. She wrapped her hand around it and pulled it to her face, automatically pressing the talk button. Whoever the hell was bothering her at this ungodly hour better have a good excuse. Especially since they had interrupted the most lovely dream…

“Mmmmffff….What?” she mumbled gruffly. In her half-asleep state she hadn’t recognized the ringtone she had assigned to a specific caller.

Cate heard a throaty chuckle in her ear. “Mornin’, Baby.”

What the hell? Am I still dreaming?

“Hmmm?” Cate opened her eyes a crack and saw that soft morning light had crept into her bedroom. “What time is it?” she asked the familiar voice, letting her eyes close again.

Again a gentle chuckle. “Time to get up, Sleeping Beauty.” The voice was familiar, low and whiskey-timbred.

Wait...I know who this is…. Cate felt herself smile.

“Jon?” she asked, her voice gravelly. “Where are you?”

Damn, she sounds sexy in the morning, Jon thought, imagining Cate’s auburn hair cascading over her pillow, framing her face. “I’m on a plane to Philly. Just wanted to call and say ‘Good Morning.’ Since I didn’t get to do it in person.”

Jon looked out the window at the fluffy clouds below. He was glad he had decided to take a private jet from the small executive airport on Sea Island rather than flying commercial out of Savannah. The indulgence had allowed him an extra hour of sleep and the flexibility to run a little late.

He hadn’t gotten much rest after his early-morning return to his villa. He had spent the next hour staring at his Blackberry, praying that Cate would change her mind and come back to him.

Cate could hear Jon’s smile in his voice. She stretched languorously, letting out a little growl as her spine popped. “Mmmmm…I was just dreaming about you,” she mumbled, still not fully awake.

“Well, you promised you would,” Jon answered. He laughed softly as he heard Cate make another little growling noise on her end of the line. “What are you doing?” he asked, stretching out his legs in front of him and taking a sip of his coffee.

“Stretching. My back is stiff,” Cate answered. “I could use a massage.”

Jon grinned. “Well, Baby, I’d be happy to help but unfortunately I’m headed the wrong direction.” Damnit, he thought regretfully. “But you do have your spa date with Mandy in a couple hours. Hopefully that will help you unwind a little.”

“Oh yeah.” Cate opened her eyes and turned her head to look at her clock radio. 8:07 a.m. She probably better get up and get moving; if she went back to sleep she might never make it out of bed. And after the amount of beer and whiskey she had consumed last night, she was gonna need a few cups of coffee to get her going.

“What are you doing today?” she asked, rolling onto her back. She yawned as she watched the ceiling fan revolve above her.

“I’m meeting a couple people at the Soul offices this morning, then I’m speaking at a fundraising lunch for Project HOME,” Jon answered. “After that, I have a little business to take care of with Obie and Richie.”

“Oh.” There was a long pause.

“Cate, you still there?” Jon asked, wondering if she had drifted back asleep. He chuckled again, picturing her burrowed into a nest of soft sheets.

“Yeah, I’m here. Just kinda surprised me, that’s all,” she answered quietly.

“What?” Jon asked, amused.

“You’re hanging out with Richie. As in Sambora.” Cate answered, a little awe creeping into her voice.

Jon laughed throatily. “Yeah. He’s my friend, my guitarist, my songwriting partner. And my business partner, remember?”

Cate sank down a little further under her covers as she blushed. “I know. I just kinda forgot that you’re…. you,” she mumbled into the phone.

Jon’s heart warmed. “I’m just me, Baby,” he answered softly. “For better or worse.”

He paused for a long moment, letting her consider his words. “So, you have dinner with Danny tonight?” he asked, more brightly. “Where are you going?”

“Yeah. He’s taking me to my favorite restaurant over on St. Simon’s. It’s right on the water, a great little bistro. Casual, but elegant.” Cate smiled. “He’s too good to me.”

“Danny is a great guy.” Jon agreed. “You two are lucky to have each other.” And I’m lucky he’s on my side, he thought. Jon sighed. “Well, I probably better go. I gotta figure out what I’m gonna say at this lunch. Can’t disappoint Sister Mary.”

“I’m sure you’ll be great, as always,” Cate answered. She echoed Jon’s sigh. “Guess I’ll talk to you Monday.”

Jon smirked to himself. No, you’ll see me in a few hours…. “I’ll text or call you later. Just to see how your day is going.”

“Okay.” Cate agreed, a little breathlessly. She felt her heart jump a little, knowing Jon would be thinking about her while he was away for the weekend.

“Oh, and Cate?” Jon grinned dirtily. He dropped his voice to a throaty, teasing growl. “What are you wearing?” If she says “nothing” I’m gonna have to go to confession before seeing the Sister Mary…

Back in her bed, Cate chuckled. “Just your jersey and a smile,” she answered, her voice a sultry rumble. She traced her fingertips over the number 2 on her midsection.

“Ohhh… Mercy…” Jon groaned playfully. “Damn. Now I’m not gonna be able to get that vision outta my head.”

“Hey, you asked,” Cate responded with a little laugh.

“I know. And I’m not sorry,” Jon replied. He sighed again, regretfully. “Okay, gotta go. Have a good time at the spa, and tell Mandy ‘hi’ for me. I’ll talk to you later, okay?”

“ ‘Kay. Hope your speech and meetings go well. And Jon…” Cate paused and smiled gently to herself. “Good morning.”

“ ‘Mornin’ to you too, Baby,” Jon answered softly. “Bye.”

“Bye.” Cate heard a soft click as Jon closed the connection. She pushed a button then dropped her Blackberry beside her on the bed. What a nice way to start the day, she thought. Maybe we should try it in person sometime.

Cate considered that possibility for a moment. It certainly wasn’t beyond her reach; last night Jon had made it very clear that he wanted her to wake up in his bed this morning. She sighed and smiled dreamily. No time for “what if?” right now. Time to get up and get ready to be pampered.

Cate slid out from under the covers, stretched one last time, and headed into the kitchen for a very large cup of coffee.

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see her face when Jon shows up tonight. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...that would be a tough one....dream about naked Jon....or have that dream interrupted by the phone and hear his voice....hmmmmm

    Maybe he could talk to me while I fall asleep and then his musings could become my dream? Yeah, that might work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok you tease!!!!! Where is the next chapter? I hardly can wait :-))) Hurry up please ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!