Chapter 48 - Girls' Day Out


Relaxing in the shade of the patio’s awning, Cate took a sip of her iced tea. She glanced again at the screen of her Blackberry, which hadn’t left her hand since she and Mandy arrived at the café a half-hour ago.

She had missed a call from Jon earlier and was disappointed that he hadn’t left a message. She was tempted to call him back, but she didn’t want to bother him. Cate pressed her lips into a frustrated little frown and looked up to see Mandy watching her.

“Still nothing?” Mandy asked. She gave her friend a sympathetic smile. “He’ll call. He’s probably just busy with business stuff.”

Cate sighed and placed her Blackberry on the table next to her napkin. She shrugged. “It’s no big deal,” she lied. “I’m just curious as to why he called earlier, since he didn’t leave a message.”

“Oh come on, Cate,” Mandy chuckled. “It’s me, remember! I know you’re dying to hear his voice. And I don’t blame you! I mean, after last night… Holy Shit!”

Cate had finally come clean and given Mandy a detailed description of her interaction with Jon over the past week, up to and including her delightful wake-up call this morning.

“I still think you’re a damned fool not to go home with him last night.” Mandy gave her friend a pointed look.

“Yeah, you made that abundantly clear,” Cate answered, giving her friend a little smile. “I think even the masseuse got the point.”

“Well Hell, Girl! Somebody’s gotta give you a kick in the ass!” Mandy laughed. “Poor Jonny isn’t getting anywhere by begging, so apparently he’s either gonna have to switch tactics or Danny and I are gonna have to hog-tie you and hand-deliver you to his bedroom.”

Cate snickered, then raised an eyebrow. “And what makes you think I would let you do that?” she challenged. “I do teach defensive tactics, you know.”

“Yeah, but so does Danny. And he’s bigger than you. And I’m meaner.” Mandy teased back. “I think the two of us could take you down. Besides, I have access to chloroform.”

“Touche’.” Cate laughed. She raised her iced tea glass in salute, then took another drink. She started eagerly when she heard an electronic ring. Cate instinctively reached for her Blackberry, though she realized it wasn’t making the sound.

“Easy, there, Girl,” Mandy laughed as she pulled her own Berry from its place on her belt. She looked at the screen. Her eyes widened momentarily in surprise at what she saw.

[2:43 pm] Hi M – it’s JBJ. R U with Cate?

How did he get my number? And why is he texting me and not Cate? Something’s up… Mandy quickly rearranged her expression to one she hoped looked bored, then looked up at Cate.

Cate’s eyes narrowed slightly as she watched Mandy’s response to the message. She had seemed surprised, but then suddenly disinterested. “Who’s that?” she asked casually.

Mandy shrugged. “Just my brother Nico. He knows he’s on my shit list since he hasn’t called me in awhile,” she fibbed. “Mind if I send him a quick text back?” she asked.

Cate shook her head. “Go ahead,” she answered. “I’ll check my e-mail.” She started to fiddle with the buttons on her Blackberry.

Mandy turned her attention back to her device, typing a quick reply.

[2:45 pm] Yep. What’s up? How did u get my #?

[2:46 pm] Danny. Plz don’t let on ur txtg me. Need a favor ASAP.

Mandy struggled to keep her expression neutral as she typed. She glanced up and saw that Cate was manipulating the buttons of her Berry. She knew Cate’s investigator “spider senses” had been triggered by her response to Jon’s text. Time to put the amateur acting skills to work.

[2:48 pm] I’ll try. Need another prop list? :P

Mandy chuckled as she hit the ‘send’ button. Cate glanced up and gave her a little smile, then returned her attention to her e-mail. Good—think she’s buying it.

[2:50 pm] What R Cate’s 3 fave of my songs?

What? Again Mandy’s eyes widened briefly. Now her cop curiosity was piqued. Something is definitely going on…

[2:52 pm] Why?????

[2:54 pm] Secret. If I tell u I have to kill u.

Mandy snorted as she tapped out a reply.

[2:56 pm] Like u could. Spill it, Jonny.

Mandy took a long drink of her iced tea and smiled at Cate, who had looked up at Mandy’s snort of laughter. “Nico’s getting ready for a business trip to Atlanta. He may try to come down here for a day or two after,” she lied.

“Cool! It would be great to see him again,” Cate smiled. “Your brother’s adorable.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Mandy laughed. “I can’t even get you to hook up with a real-life Sex God. I know you’re not gonna date my twenty-five-year-old brother.” She grinned. “Though there’s nothing wrong with being a Cougar! And I’d love to have you in the family.”

Cate chuckled and looked back to her Blackberry.

[2:50 pm] Grrr. OK. Flying back now to surprise Cate 2nite. Danny knows. DON’T TELL.

I KNEW it! Mandy thought gleefully. He couldn’t stay away from her! Her fingers flew over the keys as she replied.

[2:51 pm] No worries. Secret safe w/me. GOOD BOY! : )

[2:52 pm] LOL. Glad u approve. Now, little help, plz?


Mandy chuckled to herself and set to typing her answer to Jon’s inquiry. He hadn’t asked her the easiest question in the world; after all, who could narrow a 25-year body of amazing work down to just three favorite songs? But Mandy knew what songs Cate had been partial to as of late.

Mandy wondered what Jon was planning to do with this little piece of intelligence. She pushed ‘send’ and waited for a response.

“We should probably get going. It’s almost three.” Cate said. She was a little surprised Mandy was still involved in a text conversation with her brother. Usually she preferred to speak to family members by phone.

“One more second, Hon,” Mandy replied, giving her a little smile. “Just need to wait for this reply.”

[2:58 pm] Really? Wow. Thx!

Mandy chuckled at the response. “Okay, one more minute, I promise,” she told Cate.

Cate nodded in reply then again frowned as she checked her voicemail and still didn’t find a message from Jon. That’s ‘cause he’s plotting with me! Mandy thought with a little grin.

[3:00 pm] No prob. Need anything else? Happy 2 help!

[3:01 pm] Think I got it covered. Thx for ur help. U ROCK!

[3:03pm] She misses u.

[3:04 pm] I miss her. Can’t wait 2 see her. Thx again. –JB

Mandy grinned and pushed the button on her Blackberry to close her text folder. “Sorry. That was more than a minute. I apologize wholeheartedly.”

Cate laughed. “No problem.” She rose from her seat and picked up the shopping bag that sat next to her chair.

She and Mandy had strolled through the village after their spa morning, and Cate had made a couple of impulse purchases in one of the little boutiques, for her evening with Danny. She hoped her buddy would be happy that she was at least making an attempt to be “girly” for him. Though she didn’t quite know why it was such a big deal…

“C’mon, I’ll take you back to get your car at the office then you can go prepare for your hot date.” Mandy smiled. “Want me to come over and help you get ready?”

“I think I can handle it,” Cate laughed. She had just spent three and a half hours being exfoliated, plucked, waxed, massaged, manicured, trimmed, and blow-dried. There wasn’t much left for her to do other than change her clothes and put on a little makeup and perfume.

“Alright, if you’re sure. After all, you’re not exactly a girly-girl. I’m not sure you recall how to put all that stuff on, it’s been so long. And remember to keep your knees together in that dress, okay, Dirty Harriet?” Mandy joked.

“Ha ha. Bitch.” Cate teased back. “I’ll try.” She gave her pal a friendly hug as they walked off the cafe’s patio and out onto the sidewalk, headed for Mandy’s car. “Thanks for talking me into this, Mandy,” she said. “It was a nice way to spend a day. And to recover from a hangover,” she added jokingly.

“My pleasure,” Mandy answered sincerely. And MAN, are you gonna be glad later tonight that we did this! she thought gleefully.

Now she understood why Danny had asked her to take Cate to the spa, and why he was making such an issue out of Cate dressing up. Though she didn’t know the details of the plan the two men had hatched, she could connect the dots. “My pleasure,” she repeated softly as she and Cate headed down the sidewalk.

*****

At cruising altitude somewhere over North Carolina, Jon tucked his Blackberry into its holster. He smiled, then picked up the sleek black guitar from its resting place on the seat next to his. Nestling it onto his lap, he began to play, singing softly to himself.

12 comments:

  1. Hurry, hurry, next chapter please!! But I bet it's going to take at least three more chapters before we get to "The Moment" sigh> This would make a great movie, ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NEXT!!!

    I'm not good with too much tension today! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catte, you are an evil tease! MUAH!

    MORE PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christ can't you tell Hath's been helping her, she's even picked up the evil woman's way of leaving things hanging lol.

    Come ON Catte, pretty please with Jon on top and Rich underneath ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "...pretty please with Jon on top and Rich underneath"

    LORD, now THERE'S an image! A little Hotness sandwich.....ahhhh.....

    Don't worry, more to come soon. Will post later tonite. PROMISE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. More button....heeeeeeeeeeeeeeere more button. C'mon widdle More button....heeeeeeeeeeere more button.

    Dammit Cate! What did you do with the 'More' button?

    ~T

    ReplyDelete
  7. lmao @ T and I thought I was sad for coming back.

    Catte, always love a hotness sarnie, but I'd have to sub Dave for Jon ;|)

    ReplyDelete
  8. T - Oh, I have my OWN little "More" Button... and both Richie AND Jonny know where it is... :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Obviously, ya know a thing or two about anticipation. You're driving us crazy, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok, now I'm up to date. let start the surprise party, pronto please

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mind is racing through the catalogue....which songs did Mandy recommend?

    Didn't your mother ever tell you that it's not nice to tease Catte?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I swear I can't stop reading. Like I said before, the only advantage to having waited is that now I don't have to wait!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!