Chapter 60 - Lunch in the Village


An hour later, Jon and Cate were relaxing at a table on the sidewalk patio of a little café on Mallory Street. They chatted about nothing in particular as they enjoyed delicious sandwiches and cold iced tea.

As Jon looked across the table at Cate, he once again realized how blissfully comfortable he felt in this place, with this woman. He smiled to himself and sighed contentedly as he raised his iced tea glass to his lips.

Cate noticed and gave him her own little smile. She still couldn’t quite believe she was sitting here with Jon. When they were alone at his villa, it was just the two of them, just two people enjoying each other’s company and sharing their love of music. She had almost come to think of him as just another man. A drop-dead gorgeous, insanely talented, achingly sexy man, but just a man nonetheless.

As they had strolled through the village on their way to the café, Jon had been recognized by several fans who stopped him with requests for autographs and photos. He had been sweet and gracious in his interaction with them, and Cate had stood aside and let them have their moments.

As she watched, the realization that she was with Jon Bon Jovi had crept upon her, and again she heard the nagging little voice in her head. What could an incredible, accomplished man like him see in a nobody like me? But when Jon finished posing with the fans, he had given her the sweetest, most intimate little smile. Her doubts had slipped away, back into the recesses of her psyche. But she knew they were still there.

“So, Cate,” Jon said quietly, pulling her from her contemplation. “You know, I was serious earlier.” He gave her a long, direct gaze.

“What? What do you mean?” Cate asked, confused. Her mind flew back over their night together, trying to pinpoint the moment to which Jon was referring.

“When I told you I wanted to stay here. With you.” Jon replied.

Cate’s stomach flipped. She dropped her eyes to the table, then looked shyly back up at him. He was still staring at her, his intense blue eyes shining. Cate didn’t know what to say.

“I can’t remember the last time I felt like this. Like I’m…home.” Jon continued quietly. “It’s because of you. You make me feel like this.” He paused and sighed softly. “I wish I could just forget about everything else, blow it all off and stay here. But I have commitments.” Jon reached across the table and gently brushed his fingers over the back of Cate’s hand.

He sighed again, looking down at their hands, then back up at Cate’s face. He chuckled gently at her stunned expression. “I want to continue to see you after my training here is done,” he said. “I don’t quite know how to make that happen, but I’ll figure it out. We’ll figure it out. If you want to…” He left the end of the thought hanging, a question for Cate.

“Jon…” Cate breathed. “I.. “ She couldn’t find the words to express the whirlwind of emotion she felt swirling inside her. She stared back at him, speechless.

Jon felt his heart jump in his chest at her reaction. Did I go too far? He hadn’t meant to scare her; he just wanted to let Cate know how intensely connected he felt to her, and how much he wanted to continue their relationship.

He smiled kindly. “It’s okay,” Jon said. “You don’t have to answer now.” He gave her hand a little squeeze.

“But…” Cate’s head was spinning, her mind overloaded. He wants me! He wants to continue to see me! It doesn’t have to end when he leaves! He’s leaving in a week… How could he possibly want somebody like me? When he leaves, he’ll move on and forget about me… He’ll meet someone else, someone more like him…

“Jon, we haven’t even…we didn’t… last night…” she babbled. She took a deep breath and dropped her gaze.

Jon chuckled, ducking his head a little to look directly into Cate’s eyes. “Cate… are you disappointed that I didn’t make love to you last night?” he asked softly, his voice almost a whisper.

Cate felt her jaw drop, then she felt the heat of her blush creep across her cheeks. “I…no…well…” she stammered, looking away from Jon. She took a deep, shaky breath, then blew it out. She raised her gaze back to Jon’s face. “I’m not disappointed…I mean, it’s my fault. I know you want to, but I keep pushing you away.” She couldn’t help but give an embarrassed little smile. “Sorry.”

Jon laughed gently, giving her a warm grin. “Yeah, you do keep shooting me down,” he agreed. “But it’s okay. I understand. No need to apologize. I know you’re in a difficult position, being my instructor and all.”

Cate nodded. But it’s not just that… “Are you disappointed I didn’t sleep with you last night?” She blushed more deeply as she heard the words leave her lips.

“Truthfully? Yeah, a little….” Jon said quietly. “But not because all I wanted to do was get you into bed.” He gave Cate a warm smile. “Cate, honest to God, last night was the most amazing night I’ve had with a woman in a long, long time. What we shared was so much more special, more intimate, than sex. It was… magic.” He gave her a long look.

Cate let out a little gasp at Jon’s admission. “It was,” she agreed in a whisper. “I… I can’t believe you feel that way too.”

“I do,” Jon said gently. He again squeezed her hand and gave her a little grin. “But that doesn’t mean I’ll turn ya down if you decide you want a roll in the hay!” he teased.

Cate laughed, grateful that he had lightened the moment with his tease. What he was saying to her was almost too much for her to process. She pulled her hand from under Jon’s and picked up her iced tea, taking a long drink. She set the glass back down on the table, then smiled at him. “I promise, I’ll let you know,” she answered with a chuckle.

“Good. Call me anytime. Not that I’m anxious, or anything!” Jon laughed, teasing her more. He again reached out and squeezed her hand. “But seriously, Cate. Think about it. I’d like to see you after I leave. And I want to spend every possible moment with you until then.” Jon gave her another one of his heartbreaking smiles.

Cate nodded. “Okay. I’ll think about it. Promise.” She said softly. Hell, how am I gonna think about anything else?

Having finished their meals, Cate and Jon rose from the table and left the café. They wandered slowly through the village, stopping to look in a couple little shops as they made their way back to the beach. When they reached the sand, Jon took Cate’s hand, interlacing his fingers with hers.

During their time in the village he had been careful to maintain platonic contact with her, knowing she was concerned about running into one of her students or colleagues from the Center. But now that they were headed back to the private beach, he couldn’t wait any longer to touch her.

They strolled along the sand, swinging their joined hands slightly between them and enjoying the gentle breeze off the water.

7 comments:

  1. how long is it til the directors dinner? I think it is time for dessert now

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really sweet that they are building their relationship on more then just sex, but omg can't believe they haven't slept together yet. I'm thinking now after what they said, that it'll be happening sooner rather then later, or maybe that's just wishful thinking.
    I don't want Jon to get so fustrated waiting for her that he gives into it and sleeps with someone else.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how she's held out this long....sex on the beach anyone? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit to wanting them to get on with it.

    But I'm pretty happy that they're friends first. It works to give a better footing for a relationship, I should know lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sex on the beach anyone? :)

    Yes Please! I'll have some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sex on the beach? Sure!

    Hell, anywhere with him! Ok, Bad Lisa! I do like that he is taking it slow. Maybe now that he says he wants to keep seeing her she will be brave enough to let ALL her guards down....;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. awww jonny's starting to fall in love with her. and she is falling just as hard. it is sooo sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!